Sharing the conviction of their foundress, Saint Mary Euphrasia, that "one person is of more value than a world," the Sisters of the Good Shepherd and their lay collaborators have given young people a chance to grow in a variety of residential and day programs for over 175 years.
In 1927, Mrs. Robert Collier bequeathed the Wickatunk property to the Sisters for the establishment of a residential school for neglected and dependent girls. This residential program was in operation until the mid-1970s, when it was changed to Collier High School, an alternative day school for both boys and girls. At this time, Collier also expanded to include a group home for teenage girls and a summer camp for disadvantaged youngsters.
Our programs have developed over the years in response to the changing needs of the young people and families we serve. Today, Collier Youth Services addresses the therapeutic and social issues of our youngsters through educational, residential, and recreational programs of the highest quality. While our services continue to evolve, one thing remains constant: our commitment to nurturing the potential of each person and honoring their individual worth.